Free Natural Building Internship – applications are now open
***Applications are now closed, to be the first to hear about our next build please sign up to our email list ***
We are very pleased to announce our Summer 2018 free internship build program is now open to applications.
We are looking for long term volunteers who will be with us for the whole duration of the build. In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive:
- A practical hands on education of how to build a straw bale house from foundations to finishes. You will learn: Roundwood framing, stone foundations, green roofs, straw bale installation, clay plaster, lime plaster and earth floors
- Educational discussions on each stage of the build, including: materials science, design details, natural materials & everything else that comes up. This has been factored into the the build time. It is our upmost commitment to educate in return for your hard work.
- Meals will be provided.
Please note that this is 5 days a week, 9 til 5. We only want people who will give their all and can commit to the entire build.
No building experience necessary, just the right attitude.
This build, we have two types of internship available:
- 10 places for build interns.
- 1 organisational intern position.
Click here for the build intern application form
Click here for the organisational Intern application form
More information on the Internship program is available here. Scroll down for specific details for this build.
Deadline for applications for this build is May 13th.
Summer Internship Build info
Dates: Monday June 18th – August 31st (These are estimated as best as we can, but may move slightly)
Location: Aberlour, Scotland
Build Details: The build is an 8m Straw Bale roundwood framed roundhouse.
You will learn:
- Foundations – Rubble trench, stone laying with lime mortar
- Roundwood timber framing – including reciprocal roof frame
- Green roof
- Straw bale infill walls
- Earth floor
- Clay plasters
- Lime plasters
Accommodation: Camping on site. Covered communal spaces with showers and toilets.
Food: On work days lunch and dinner will be cooked for you with a help yourself breakfast. Basics provisions provided on Weekends with access to cooking equipment.
Age Requirements: 18+