Free Natural Building Course – 2019 Applications are now closed!
Applications for the 2019 natural building course are now closed. If you would like to be informed when our next build becomes available please sign up to our email list below.
What’s it all about?
We are looking for our 2019 build team who will be with us for the whole duration of the build. In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive:
- A practical hands on education of how to build a straw bale house from foundations to finishes. You will learn: Roundwood framing, conventional stick framing, brick foundations, lime mortar, straw bale installation, clay plaster, lime plaster, carpentry, earth floors… and no doubt loads of spoon carving!
- Educational classroom sessions on each stage of the build, including: materials science, design details, natural materials & everything else that comes up. The classroom sessions are build into the build schedule. It is our utmost commitment to educate in return for your hard work.
- 3 meals a day will be provided, all delicious, healthy, vegetarian.
- Camping on site in the beautiful Suffolk countryside with communal marquee, showers and toilets.
- Field trips to local builds and events.
Please note that this is 5 days a week, 9 til 5. We only want people who will give their all and can commit to the entire build.
No building experience necessary, just the right attitude.
Free Natural Building Course info
Dates: June 1st – September 23rd 2019. (We have estimated as best we can but are subject to slight alteration).
Build Details: The build is 2 strawbale workshops joined with a single roof line.
Practical skills you will learn:
- Foundations – Rubble trench, bricklaying with lime mortar
- Roundwood timber framing
- Straw bale infill walls
- Earth floor
- Clay plasters
- Lime plasters
- Timber cladding
Classroom Sessions Include:
- The Planning Permission and building control process
- Design Details
- Material properties and how to specify
- Natural Foundations
- The Lime cycle and properties of lime
- Heritage roofing systems
- Plaster 101
- Natural Flooring and how to make heritage methods efficient
- Renewable Energy
Accommodation: Camping on site. Covered communal lounge and kitchen spaces with showers and toilets.
Food: On work days lunch and dinner will be cooked for you with a help yourself breakfast. Weekend you have access to the kitchen and can explore the beautiful coastline.
Age Requirements: 18+Apply here!
Previous Student Feedback –
Thanks to the Hartwyn experience I have been employed by a company since November and they have offered myself and another Hartwyn student apprenticeships (NVQ Level 3 Heritage Skills) starting in April!
I reflect back now with some really beautiful memories, not only of the skills learned, but the feeling of living as a temporary community of people united in the goal of building a house and having fun. It’s really inspired me to go and build again to increase my experience and eventually build a home for myself and others in community.